Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving in Brest

Well we did it! Katie, Sarah, David and I cooked Thanksgiving dinner for 16 people! We weren't sure if we'd pull it off but it turned out quite well and had a very enjoyable time. David made Corn Chowder and mussles for a starter and Sarah made a salad. The meal included an apple glazed chicken with apple/raisin stuffing, green bean casserole, orange glazed carrots, corn, homemade applesauce and cornbread (Katie and Idid most of that)and then for dessert I made an apple pie and a pumpkin pie (pureed the pumpkin myself); Sarah made Sweet Potato Pie (we had to search for quite some time to find Sweet Potatos) and Katie made pumpkin cookies. We also had a lemon cake and ice cream.
I had a great time with everyone. Our guests represented the following countries: Austria (1), China (2) France (2), Ireland (3), Tunisia (1), Spain (3) and the US (4). We of course had to speak French the whole evening since that was the only common language.
Our guests couldn't believe how much food there was. With every dish that was put on the table another person had a look of shock.
Although it wasn't exactly like Thanksgiving at home it was similar enough that I didn't spend too much of my day missing home. It was nice to share this meal with the closest thing to family that we can find here.

Well I'm off to clean up the mess and claim all our respective dishware from David's apartment!

1 comment:

Alissa said...

That sounds like so much fun! Was the conversation able to be comfortable and casual enough, despite being in French? I'm sure you're all way better at it than me, but I'd have a hard time speaking another language during an American holiday. :~)